Saturday, July 29, 2017

Custom Turn Signal Retrofit - Part 4

As usual, it's been awhile since I've posted. But the purpose of this blog is not so much to produce content in a timely manner so much as just a means for me to document (and sometimes revisit) some of my projects as well as an incentive to complete them. So this one has more or less been done for quite some time and sitting on my desk.

We've already covered the important pieces of the circuit, now we just need to put it all together. The resulting schematic is too complicated for just being a turn signal, but this wasn't meant to be entirely a practical solution. You can obviously buy LED bulbs at the store (though they are still surprisingly pricey), but that's not the point of this project. So here we go:
I've additionally included S1 and S2 to the circuit, which you could argue is the whole reason this thing is so complicated. I wanted to be able to dial in the brightness of the bulbs without having to change resistor values or reprogramming the micro. I've done the debouncing in hardware because I didn't want to do it software. And with only two buttons, the effort and space on the board required is minimal.

The last item I think is the ICSP header. It's always handy (and sometimes necessary) to include one of these to make programming and debugging easier. Also best to make it the same as the cable on the programmer you are using, though occasionally you may have to do otherwise. But not having a convenient way to change your software will discourage you from finishing or improving your firmware in the future.

I did make a smallish PCB for this, and for the function it serves, yes, everything is kinda big. But hey, learning experience. Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment